TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, and Bail Bonds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, and Bail Bonds Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Who knew bail bondsmen were such a genuine slice of Americana? Next thing you know, we'll find out that John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were bondsmen.

I was going to post this on the main page, but I thought it might create some interesting comments if I posted it here instead ...

-------------------------------

January 29, 2008

American Exception

Illegal Globally, Bail for Profit Remains in U.S.

By ADAM LIPTAK, The New York Times

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Wayne Spath is a bail bondsman, which means he is an insurance salesman, a social worker, a lightly regulated law enforcement agent, a real estate appraiser -- and a for-profit wing of the American justice system.

What he does, which is posting bail for people accused of crimes in exchange for a fee, is all but unknown in the rest of the world. In England, Canada and other countries, agreeing to pay a defendant's bond in exchange for money is a crime akin to witness tampering or bribing a juror -- a form of obstruction of justice.

[snip]

Other countries almost universally reject and condemn Mr. Spath's trade, in which defendants who are presumed innocent but cannot make bail on their own pay an outsider a nonrefundable fee for their freedom.

[snip]

For the rest of the article, click here:

The New York Times

Posts: 2427 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
he is an insurance salesman, a social worker, a lightly regulated law enforcement agent, a real estate appraiser -- and a for-profit wing of the American justice system.

He's a professional gambler, too.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's probably also a screenwriter, which reminds me that of all the things I'm apathetic about, the writers' strike is probably right up there with worrying about when the McRib will come back. As a matter of fact, I think Scott B. could moonlight as a line-crosser and write for any of the talk shows and sit-coms and do a much better job, to boot.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's a McRib? Were McAdam and McEve involved in that?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post