TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Firearms disposition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms disposition Login/Join 
posted
The skinny facts are: Probationer commits (among other offenses) Deadly Conduct (Misd). Misdemeanor is 12.45 with probation revocation.

Question: Several firearms were seized (don't know why) besides the weapon used in the commission of the deadly conduct. What can be done with the remaining weapons?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the probation a felony probation, making probationer a felon in possession of a firearm?

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deferred adjudication.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well there went the easy answer!

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have on occasion been asked the same question when a game warden has a gun that for whatever reason is not subject to forfeiture and the owner gets a post-seizure felony conviction. Normally this would be governed by CCP 18.19 (c) but if D is now a convicted felon, that won't work. My suggestion is to get word to D that he needs to appoint someone (in writing) to claim the guns. Assuming the guns belonged to D, they are still his property even if he cannot legally possess them.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming we have a property hearing on the weapons. (Wife is claiming the weapons are hers.) Does the JP have exclusive jurisdiction or might the hearing be held in County Court at Law? I really would like to put on a record, letting wife know that she (and he) could be in violation of federal laws concerning firearm possession by felons.

posted Hide Post
I am interested in the situation where the spouse claims ownership of the firearms. If she/he lives with the convicted felon and it's less than five years since the conviction, wouldn't the presence of the firearms in the residence by considered "possession" regardless of who "owns" the firearms??

We get this situation quite often.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "felon" was on deferred. Got a misdemeanor deadly conduct (among other bad acts) and has been revoked. Wife is claiming the guns are hers, but you are right. When he gets out the guns can't be in that house.