TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "any" loss of normal use of mental and/or physical faculties.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"any" loss of normal use of mental and/or physical faculties. Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone dealt with a sustained objection from the defense to a reference from the State that "any" loss will suffice? I recently heard of this occurring when the State during voir dire defined loss as "any" loss. The defense objected, the objection was sustained and the judge even commented to the State in front of the jury that it was an incorrect statement of the law.

I have used this before and never had an objection. Is there any case law out there?

Posts: 38 | Location: Henderson County | Registered: July 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found Hulgan v. State, No. 01-92-01237-CR, 1993 Tex. App. LEXIS 3358 (Tex. App. - Houston [1st Dist.] December 16, 1993, no pet.) (not designated for publication). Check it out. It seems to approve a jury argument like the one you are describing. It is not designated for publication.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott, send me your new email please

Posts: 37 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post