TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Paperless Office / Electronic Discovery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paperless Office / Electronic Discovery Login/Join 
posted
Looking for any offices who have experimented in or implemented either a mostly paperless office, electronic filing by law enforcement, and/or electronic discovery procedures. Please contact me off list jessie.allen(at)co.guadalupe.tx.us.

Posts: 15 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any tips on this issue but have a story. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, an appellate lawyer from Austin appeared to argue a motion for a new trial. He began lecturing the judge, myself and anyone in listening range about how we were living in the dark ages by running on paper and how his office was so advanced because he had gone paperless some time before that.

I'll note that he didn't have his amended MNT printed and was somewhat irritated that we didn't have a wireless printer set up for his beck and call. After about 30 minutes of listening to him crow about the advantages of a paper office, we got ready to begin the hearing.

He had a Venti Starbucks on the counsel table next to his laptop. He was the only one in the vicinity and he knocked over his Venti onto his laptop. His laptop fried on the spot.

He went out to his car and while out there, you could see that the truck or hatchback was literally filled with all kinds of loose 8x10 papers.

He wasn't able to proceed on his amended motion because he had not backed up his computer recently.

That's my paperless office story.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I know that guy.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jessie, I am going to email you some information, but if you haven't already seen this on the front page, check it out:

RFA for JAG grant funds now available

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williamson county attorney's office has a great paperless system!!!!! Check with them!

Katherine McAnally

Posts: 30 | Location: burnet, texas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're working on and getting better at "paperless. We use "Time Matters" case management system where we scann in all documents and minimize reliance on paper files. Getting better but tough to break old habits. Same system is used, in Stinett, Tx and Dumas, Tx.

Time Matters creates file for case where you srore all matterss related to case. Documeents, pleadings, reports, audion files, pic's, ets. Sets up timeline of filings, organizes contacts with each case and has internal messaging system along with calendar. Incredible tool.

We do discovery by "Share File". As material is scanned in for case file (Time Matters), we the copy and send to opposing counsel by notice and then they open and copy. Eliminated copying, postage, handlilng. As we get supplementas, etc, they are sent. All defense counsel have raved on how they like system.

We also do most communications by two systems, we send alot and communicate by email but also useing "Ring Central" email to fax (avoids the excuse "I did not get your email"). (have used "maxemail also). Allows us to send, from Admin Asst. desk, email and fax, without getting up or losing time. (Ring Central also allows us to recive fax but we're not using such yet!)

Will be glad to discuss, Call or email at Yoakum County DA Office, Plains, Texas

Helwig76

Posts: 22 | Location: Plains, Texas, USA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are as paperless as one can get. The only paper I carry into a court room are exhibits and plea paperwork. We have secure portals to our larger law enforcement agencies where most of our cases are sent in electronic format. The only thing that we receive via DVD fom them are the videos which are sometimes to large to send via the portals. Some of our smalller agencies still send cases in paper format. We scan these into our system. We are a four county district so when I travel to the other three counties I carry a laptop and access my base computer through "log-me-in". We like our system!

Posts: 62 | Location: Dumas, Texas | Registered: November 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post