TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    My Money
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Money Login/Join 
posted
A guy is shopping in Walmart, sees a pile of cash on the ground, he didn't see who dropped it, so he picks it up and promptly leaves the store without making any attempts to notify anyone. Later he is identified and says 'yeah I took the money, I found it, so I get to keep it'. He refuses to return the money. Was he under any duty to report the money he found? Can he be prosecuted for theft?

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no legal duty to report "found" money.

Whether it constitutes theft is a factual determination (yeah, I know; "duh").

I'm more interested to know who leaves a "pile of money" laying arond Walmart?!?

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the smiley face was flying around the store dropping prices, it must've dropped the wad of cash that was destined for the store's safe.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you deprive someone of money they already lost?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's mine.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the money was found on the store's floor, does Walmart have a better right to possession?

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to get all "common law" about it, but I think Wal-Mart's claim would be superior to the finder ONLY if the finder was a trespasser or the item was in a non-public area of the store. Otherwise, the finder's claim should be superior to everyone's (except the true owner, of course).

Posts: 143 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: August 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post