TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Facts of case at the opening of Voir Dire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facts of case at the opening of Voir Dire Login/Join 
posted
What opinion says we cannot give a factual overview or synopsis of our case to the jury at the beginning of Voir Dire? Thanks for your help!

[This message was edited by Curtis on 09-29-04 at .]

[This message was edited by Curtis on 09-29-04 at .]

Posts: 41 | Location: Abilene, Taylor Co., TX. | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK - I'll expose my ignorance - I have always given a bit of a light over view while picking a jury. Not detailed facts, but enough that I know how they feel about BTR, drunk vs intoxicated, and the like.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a couple of seminars I've attended, I got the idea that voir dire has nothing to do with picking a fair and impartial jury, and has everything to do with making voir dire your final argument, if you can get away with it.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brown v. State, 674 S.W.2d 443 (Tex.App. - Dallas 1984) aff'd 741 S.W.2d 453 (Tex.Crim.App. 1987) was the pre-Standefer case about contracting with jurors about the facts of the case. Standefer is the new case.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 70 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. I was not trying to contract with the jurors, just give them an overview of the facts of the case. This was not about committment questions, just a quick recitation of the facts of the case. I have not had time to re read Sandifer, does it mention anything about telling just the facts?

Posts: 41 | Location: Abilene, Taylor Co., TX. | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ttt