TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    No Cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Cameras Login/Join 
posted
Finally, a judge with some sense in his head. No cameras for the Peterson trial. Anyone have a problem with this?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Markus Kypreos>
posted
I have more of a problem with a trial taking 4 months in California where the same trial would take 4 days in Texas. No state drags cases out longer than CA.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with you on the length of trials in California. It poses a real problem in terms of willing and qualified jurors. My sister recently was on a panel for a murder case involving a plea of insanity. The attorneys told the panel that the trial would probably run at least four to six weeks. My sister, a well-educated intelligent woman who would make an excellent juror, was very concerned about ending up on the jury because she has teenager that she ferrys all over the place for various activities. She could get back up for a week or maybe two--but six?

On the other hand, I will never forget when I was called to jury duty in Hockley County. It was a manslaughter case. The judge informed the panel members and the attorneys at 10:00 am. on Tuesday morning that would have a jury sworn and the case tried with a verdict in by Wednesday evening because, by golly, he had a trial scheduled for Thursday morning in Brownfield. (They brought the verdict in before 6:00 p.m. Wednesday!) How's that for a fast murder trial!

Janette

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The California courts have to drag out the trial long enough for the made-for-TV movies to air before trial, thereby thoroughly tainting the jury pool for the State and ensuring a fair trial, "California-style."

Roll Eyes

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post