TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Spanish grand jury subpoena
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish grand jury subpoena Login/Join 
posted
I have a victim of a child sexual assault that I need to subpoena to grand jury. Her parents do not speak English (she does). Should I send the grand jury subpoena for her out in Spanish? If so, does anyone have one already translated? Thanks for any and all help.

Posts: 88 | Location: Rusk, Texas | Registered: January 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In cases where I have a child victim of a crime, I always issue a subpoena for the child themselves AND for their parent/guardian, duces tecum.

I would issue the subpoenas in english. Perhaps you could enclose a cover letter in spanish to the parents advising them of the grand jury subpoena and what it says. Further, if your investigator or whoever serves the gj subs on them is a spanish speaker, then I would additionally have them explain to the witness what the subpoena means, and note that he/she explained same in spanish on the return. I think all official court documents should be issued in english, the official language of the land.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post