TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Certiorari
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Certiorari Login/Join 
posted
D was indicted and, after a motion to suppress, indictment was dismissed and D is reindicted.

Appeals followed.

D files Motion to Abate while seeking certiorari to US Supreme Court.

Cert denied.

This was June 2005, I have no notice from anywhere that cert was denied, except the Reporters cite.

How do I get notice to my trial court?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried contacting the Clerk of the Supreme Court's office and asking them if they can issue a certified notice of the denial of cert.? Surely there must be some document they can generate under public seal that could be placed in the record.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what I was thinking, just wondering if there were any other ideas out there.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why won't the reporter's cite work? But the clerk of the SCOTUS should be able to get you the real thing, if that is what your court actually needs.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The state appellate court (either the CCA or the Court of Appeals) might also have a copy in their files. Many times, but not in every case, the U.S. Supreme Court will also notify the state appellate court by sending notice to that court that certiorari has been denied. (This is helpful to remember when you're in a time crunch: The DC mail is notoriously unpredictable; letters from the district have been known to take 2 weeks or longer to reach Texas.)

However, if you filed an appearance with the U.S. Supreme Court (usually done in connection with a response to the cert. application), I would think that you would have received written notification in the form of an official letter from the Clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court that certiorari had been denied.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post