TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Mimi Coffey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mimi Coffey Login/Join 
posted
She is giving a presentation at the local law school this afternoon, "How to Beat a DWI." This just really irks the hell out of me, and I plan on attending and asking some pointed questions. I see from her webpage she practices in Tarrant County, and was just looking for some background info/impressions of her before I head out there.

Posts: 62 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell her the best way to beat a dwi is to stop drinking and driving. Take a taxi if you must be drunk in public.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. . . maybe we were talking about a punishment issue Wink

Posts: 62 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please ask her why she is condoning or making light of an act that puts my kid at risk when he drives.

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bring earplugs. You'll thank me later.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mimi does try a lot of DWI cases in our County but it would be a mistake to believe she wins them all. I have no problem with defense attorneys who make a living defending these cases but giving the impression that these cases are easy to win just encourages those listening to roll the dice. You might ask her if it is true that she pleads most of her clients guilty to DWI. It is and we have the stat's to prove it (83%). She probably wins about 40% of her jury trials. I would also like to get a copy of any handout or a summary of what she says.

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Edmonds:
Bring earplugs. You'll thank me later.

Funny funny.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll also be taking some of my misdemeanor kids to give them a perspective of what their potential jurors are being exposed to. Prosecutors can be a little insular sometimes, and they need to know a community's pulse.

posted Hide Post
Part of her speech could include what my jury told me yesterday about why they acquitted the clearly intoxicated defendant (who was pretending to blow, but really was playing to the camera): "He had fat lips and no front teeth so maybe it really was hard for him."

Some things, you just can't argue. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's a graduate of Tech, for what that's worth. She was in my class, but we were not acquaintances.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She has billboards up in the metroplex that say:

Drink, Drive, Go to Jail: Another government lie.

She's been around a while and she's not a bad lawyer; she's just really proud of herself. I think she believes that MADD is run by people that want prohibition back, and she acts like a zealot while claiming MADD is full of extremists.

The ear plugs idea is brilliant, BTW.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew Mimi in college and in law school. I was most impressed that she had 2 kids during law school, managed to deliver each of them during the Thanksgiving holidays (which was only Wed, Thurs, and Friday) and did not miss a single class. That's a whole different level of planning and preparation. I didn't even manage to read the assigned cases over the same holiday break. I'd guess she'll be prepared to answer questions.

Posts: 36 | Location: Kaufman, Texas, USA | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. . . good call on the earplugs. I think at times only dogs could hear her. Richard, I'll be e-mailing you my notes later this week.
-T