TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Burnt Marihuana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burnt Marihuana Login/Join 
posted
Trooper stops a car and smells burnt marihuana in the car and also on the person of the driver after the driver gets out of the car. The trooper then searches the driver and finds meth. in the driver's shoe. I think it is a good search--can search the car so should be able to search the driver also--but cannot find case law on point. Has any body crossed this before?

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you purchase a TDCAA Warrantless Search & Seizure Manual authored by Diane Beckham, I can guarantee that you will be able to find the answer to your question.

[This message was edited by Ken Sparks on 08-24-05 at .]

[This message was edited by Ken Sparks on 08-24-05 at .]

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fine book. Guaranteed to be of help.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carroll doctrine:

Requires probable cause to believe the vehicle contains contraband or evidence of a crime. Can search containers that could hold the contraband/evidence. (Carroll v. U.S., 267 US 132 (1925)). Includes passengers and their property. (Wyoming v. Houghton, 526 US 295 (1999)).

Now go buy the book and enjoy Diane Beckham's hard work.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phillip, thanks for the help. I ordered the manual yesterday.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post