TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prolific California serial killer apprehended by evolving DNA technology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prolific California serial killer apprehended by evolving DNA technology Login/Join 
posted
My friend Dr. John Tonkin's DNA lab at the California Department of Justice recently aided LAPD in discovering a serial killer/rapist believed responsible for a large number of murders in the LA area going back to the 1970's. The murders and rapes occurred across the LA area and were separated by a decade of inactivity.

serial killer DNA

Police have matched his DNA to five separate homicides that occurred during both crime sprees. Prior to his identification as the killer/rapist, police had not linked the killings/rapes that occurred in the 70's and 80's to one offender.
The now 72 year old killer had been inactive in recent years, working as a state workman's comp adjuster since 1989, but had prior convictions for rape with trips to prison.

In September, 2004, the labs matched dna profiles from two of the crime scenes, but it was not until last month that the scene profiles were matched to an offender.

The paper notes that none of these murders involved with this offender are linked to the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer who has been murdering women for several decades in LA.

Evolving DNA technology will continue to solve old murders in the future.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Anyone have any idea what the next fingerprint, DNA type tool will be for solving crimes?

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for you, Mr. S, I will ask some of these smart folks I have been privileged to work with and listen to in the recent past and will get back to you.

I always appreciate the assistance you've given me when I've been in a pinch.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post