TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Lab weoght with combined coke and meth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lab weoght with combined coke and meth Login/Join 
posted
This is the first time I've had both coke and meth in one of my exhibits form the lab. How are you Charging?
I already have enough to get to a 1st degree on poss with intent to deliver for the other cocaine found on the defendant but only a 2nd degree on the meth.I hate to let 6.61 gms of coke amd meth go ??????Thanks for the help

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am unclear on what was possessed. You already have some amount of cocaine (apparently more than 200 grams) and then a separate quantity of a mixture of cocaine and meth possessed at the same time and place? I am not sure you can split the quantities by containers. But, if the idea is to charge >200 g of coke and 6 g of meth, then it should make no difference that the meth mixture also contains cocaine. You can either ignore that fact in the indictment (since "controlled substance" is defined "as aggregate weight of any mixture, solution, or other substance containing a controlled substance") or allege the second substance was "methamphetamine and cocaine", which is still a different controlled substance from "cocaine". See Lopez, 108 S.W.3d at 298.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post