TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    A Scaly Question...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Scaly Question... Login/Join 
posted
We have had an outbreak of overweight tickets given to cattle haulers. The trucks are being weighed on a gin scale which has not been certified in 3 years and which, as I understand it, cannot weigh by axle.

I keep wondering about these. First of all, given that most ranchers don't have scales in the pasture, how are the drivers to determine weight? How much is lost on a drive?

Secondly, how do I prosecute a ticket based on a scale that has not been certified? Shouldn't it be?

Thanks Confused

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, our L&W trooper takes our trucks to a certified scale. Don't think I would try a case if it wasn't.
I can't remember the % of loss usual for these loads, but I may be able to put my hands on the info. If so, I will forward it.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a fairly high amount of shrinkage on the trip out to the panhandle (or wherever). More so in the summer months than in the winter.
We had a guy with the same charge. We asked him to produce the weigh out ticket or at least the name of the feed lot that he delivered it to.
His complaint/defense was that they were weighing each axle and since the cattle could move around somewhat in the trailer then it wasn't/couldn't be accurate. Might be weighing some of the same cattle on each axle.
Of course his demise arose from his own testimony.
He told us (and the jury) that he was hauling X number of head and that they averaged Y pounds and that the scale had to be wrong. On the black board we multiplied x times y and it came out to more than the Trooper wrote him up for.
On a side note, you would be surprised at how close to accurate a rancher can be when estimating cattle weight by sight alone. Those buyers at the cattle auctions can get to w/in 5-10 lbs just by sight alone.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you load cattle to ship, you have some idea of what you (hope) they weigh. Then the truck driver yells out to bring up X number of head to put in this compartment on the truck, and X number in the next compartment, etc. etc. I always assumed that this exercise was to try to get a legal amount of cattle onto the truck.

As a side note, we always weighed the loaded trucks on a grain elevator scale in town. I have no idea whether it was (or is) certified. That weight was what the purchase price amount was figured by.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post