TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    law school loans and bankruptcy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

law school loans and bankruptcy Login/Join 
posted
Lawyer cannot avoid paying back $350,000 of debt acquired during school by seeking bankruptcy.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/50806777.html

Surely this must be an exceptional level of debt?

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read an article a few weeks ago about a man in New York who has been denied admission to the bar on the basis of his $400,000 or so in student loan debt.

I believe that only the warm embrace of death can free you from those obligations.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My plan if I flunked the BAR was to tend bar in some third-world tropical-beach-type place without an extradition treaty. And my loans weren't nearly that bad.

Thankfully for Caribbean tourists I passed.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They warned us over and over again in school -- both undergrad and law -- that student loan debts aren't dischargeable through bankruptcy. You're stuck with them forever.

And gosh, it took him that long to make it through school, and he's surprised he's not a successful lawyer?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post