TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Redetermination of Incompetency
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redetermination of Incompetency Login/Join 
posted
I have a Def whose case was dismissed when he was deemed incompetent. New evidence came to light that he may be competent now. I'm assuming I need to file a motion to redetermine competency before I can reindict. Is this correct? If so, does anyone have a motion to redetermine Def's compentency?

Thanks

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You reindict. And now, because of the prior finding of incompetency, you have the burden of proving competency.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And because the defendant now enjoys a presumption of incompetence under Schaffer, 583 S.W.2d at 630, you will have to address the issue even if it is not raised (again) by the Defendant. This, of course, also prevents the State from trying to get around the prior finding merely by re-indicting. In fact, you now have the heavy burden of showing competency beyond a reasonable doubt. Manning, 730 S.W.2d 744.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And beware the Jan. 1, 2004 effective date for new CCP Ch. 46B, the new competency laws. The enacting language of the new law says that the old law still applies to "a defendant against whom proceedings have been initiated under Art. 46.02 ..." prior to 1/1/04, but I'm not sure what effect your dismissal and reindictment has on the continuity of "proceedings." Does it mean anyone ever subject to 46.02 is governed by 46.02 in perpetuity? Or is it case-specific? Indictment-specific? Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post