TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Online Harassment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online Harassment Login/Join 
posted
Leander police say a man used social websites to get back at his ex-girlfriend. Jason Eric Leonard is charged with online harassment -- a third degree felony.

The woman told police she found out about the fraudulent postings because she began getting calls and received a naked picture from a man. All said they were responding to an ad on Craigslist which said the woman was looking for sexual encounters. The trouble is, she did not post the ad.

Details and video.

[This new law became effective 9/1/09. Have you had cases in your jurisdiction yet?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The fraudulent Facebook page he created is clearly within the scope of the original 33.07, but there's has been a lot of debate about whether Craigslist postings qualify under that section. In response, the legislature expanded 33.07 to include almost any internet website--including Craigslist--as of 9/1/11.

Be sure to bone up on all the recent changes by coming to one of TDCAA's Legislative Updates this summer!

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've filed a couple cases under 33.07. They take a LOT of resources to go about actually proving who made the posting. Short of getting a confession, it's far more work than any other 3rd that I can think of.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done several of these. They are very interesting and come in all forms you just need to make sure they are worked up properly in the beginning.

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, what punishment is appropriate?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmm...... something less than castration, I would think.

Was the "suggestive" pose in Facebook photoshopped, or just another person entirely?

Was the Craigslist ad obscene? Was she pictured? Did he put in her phone number? Was an email given or were the replies generated through a Craigslist server to an otherwise unknown email?

If the revenge had been plotted by a woman against a man, would people just think it was "funny"? Let's not establish a double standard. It's commonly said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", and I think most men would find the revenge a minor annoyance (whether they deserved it or not).

Very interesting - give one a lot to think about.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post