TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DWI question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWI question. Login/Join 
posted
I seem to remember seeing this question discussed on the board a long time ago but I can't find it now.

Here's the deal. Felony DWI. Defense counsel goes to look at the two enhancement priors and discovers that on one of them, the defendant has successfully completed his REGULAR probation. There's a termination order in the court file, signed by the judge, showing that the defendant has completed his probation and his "guilty plea and conviction set aside." I'm reasonably certain that doesn't mean that this particular conviction can't be used to enhance to a third degree. Before I spend time in the library, does anyone recall a case or statute that they would be so kind as to refer me to. Thanks.

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The case you are looking for is Jordy v. State, 969 S.W.2d 528 (Tex. App. - Fort Worth 1998, no pet.)

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See an April 2003 case out of Dallas Anderson v. State Westlaw cite is 2003 WL 1874278 (Tex.App.-Dallas) I believe it will solve your problem.

Posts: 3 | Location: Conroe, Texas | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those cases look great. Thanks guys!!!

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, is this particular issue covered in your new book? You know the book I am talking about -- DWI Investigation and Prosecution, published through TDCAA.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes this issue is covered on page 195. Thanks for asking. Is it mentioned in your book?

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, the people in The Perfect Plea are all guilty and admit it.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post