TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    False Identification as Peace Officer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False Identification as Peace Officer Login/Join 
posted
An officer who is no longer employed with a specific agency is flashing his badge (from this specific agency) at interesting times- like during an investigative stop for POM and when a business is repossessing his vehicle, etc. My problem is that in my reading of 37.12 it appears that (b)(2) provides a defense. He was a peace officer commissioned in that capacity when the item was made. So....am I missing something? Even if he has been stripped of his license at the time he flashed his badge it appears that the defense would still apply. I've not got into a lot of case law yet but was wondering if anybody else had dealt with something along these lines. Suggestions appreciated because this is unacceptable! Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Gainesville, TX, USA | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is he flashing his badge with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely on his pretended official acts? If yes, take a look at 37.11.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gretchen, it will be a stretch, given our facts, but we have no other choice. Thanks for the input!

[This message was edited by nancy manning on 04-13-11 at .]

Posts: 4 | Location: Gainesville, TX, USA | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After filing, how about you ask him to surrender the badge in exchange for dismissal?

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between a TCLEOSE license and a commission from agency that employs the officer. Does it matter than the officer may not have had a commmission from the former agency?

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Rudy - I'm not sure that the badge itself is "false" since it was an actual badge issued to that person while they were, in fact, employed as a peace officer. I had thought about that too (it would be covered under the definition of "government record" in 37.01(2)(C)).

Was the officer required to surrender the badge upon his termination of employment? Could it be a theft?

posted Hide Post
We don't need no stinking badges!

Sorry - couldn't resist.......

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about looking under 39.03, Official Oppression. It sure appears he is acting under color of his office, albeit ex-office.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lampasas, TX | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post