TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Registration for Defendant who completed Supervision before 1997?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Registration for Defendant who completed Supervision before 1997? Login/Join 
posted
Was wondering if anyone could give me a case that clearly states that anyone convicted of sex offense after Sept. 1, 1970, must register as sex offender even if they completed parole or probation before 1997 amendment. I believe they do based on 2005 amendment to CCP, but some attorneys disagree with me. Can anyone give me a solid site to clear this up? Orlando Esquivel A.D.A. Hidalgo County, Texas. 956-318-2300 ext. 733

Posts: 2 | Location: Edinburg, Texas, United States of America | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(1) What was date of original conviction?
(2) What was original conviction for?
(3) Was D still on probation/parole or still in prison on/after Sept. 1, 1991?
(4) Was D's conviction for an out-of-state offense to which SORNA makes registration in Texas manditory?
(5) Was D's conviction for an out-of-state offense to which Section 62.11 applies?

-> Your answers to these questions will guide you. But here are some cases that may provide some guidance:

Ex parte Liggins, 182 S.W.3d 928, 930 n. 5 (Tex. Crim. App. 2006) (explaining how Section 62.11 applies under different circumstances depending on, inter alia, date of conviction & whether defendant was "under supervision" or on parole or probation on or after 1991 for the sex offense).

Turner v. State, 101 S.W.3d 750, 758-60 (Tex. App.--Houston [1st Dist.] 2003, pet. ref'd) (discussing current registration requirements for pre-1993 penal code offenses that had different names).

United States v. Heth, No. 09-50119, slip op. at 3-7 (5th Cir. Feb. 4, 2010) (discussing imposition of SORNA requirements, 42 U.S.C. ~ 16913, in states that haven't fully implemented federal registration scheme and noting SORNA's application to sex offense convictions that predate SORNA's enactment). (opinion available online at http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/09/09-50119-CR0.wpd.pdf)

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post