TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Oh Great DL Gurus!!!!!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh Great DL Gurus!!!!!!!!! Login/Join 
posted
Juan received 5 years deferred adjudication for agg sexual assault in 1996; he has lived it out, registers on the internet, and all that.

He has a job, and has to drive to work - - but - - he cannot seem to get a license. When his DL is run, the final entry is dated 041102 and reads "revoked - sex offender".

Now, there are a fair number of sex offenders wandering about, and most,if not all, have DLs. There was nothing in the court's order in '96 keeping him from getting a DL.

While I am not overly fond of individuals with his crime, he has a sweaty, dirty, nobody else wants it job, is supporting his family, and the only time I see him is when some enterprising officer of the law sees him drive past. They all know him, know his car, know he can't drive - so they arrest him. Roll Eyes

Why is his DL suspended? Is there any way to get it back??

THanks

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at art. 42.065 CCP - which takes it away, Sec. 521.272 Transportation Code - which lets them get it back, and art. 62.065 which requires them to do so within 30 days and requires annual renewal.

Obviously, you gut has failed to do one of these things and may be in violation of the registration requirements.

Posts: 14 | Location: San Marcos, TX, USA | Registered: August 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Pete. While I don't feel particularly sorry for the guy, he has been to the Chief of POlice, SHeriff and head of our local DPS to no avail.

Getting him a license will reduce my workload! Smile

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, this is just a great example of a prosecutor's role 'to seek justice'. Obviously you do not care for this man, by your words, but hold no animosity towards him either. He has diligently sought an explanation for his inability to get a license, which would allow him to legally drive and support his family. He has been to all local law enforcement, and the DPS and received no help. When he appears in your courtroom again, instead of mightily prosecuting him, which you could do if you were small minded, you are helping him receive justice in the courts. 10 points for you!!! I hope your boss gives you a raise.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THanks for the kind words - but I am the boss - sort of - subject to 4 commissioners, assorted other elected officials, 16000 warm bodies (of which 3000 vote and 12000 gripe), the looney tunes in Austin,.... Roll Eyes

But- you are right; if we aren't in this business to do justice, we're in the wrong one.

Thank you again; words like yours are every bit as good as a raise. Smile

posted Hide Post
And shame on whoever devised a CCP that scatters the revocation, the reinstatement, and some other time provision all over the code rather than putting them together in one section!

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post