TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Counterfeiting under the Forgery Statute
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counterfeiting under the Forgery Statute Login/Join 
posted
Our office recently received a number of complaints about counterfeit bills that are being passed locally. The Feds apparently are not interested and we are looking over the possibility of prosecuting these offenders under the forgery statute.
However, I have some concern that it does not fit well under that statute. Forgery requires the making or passing of a writing that purports to be the act of "another." Under PC 1.07, "another" is defined as an "individual, corporation, or association." "Association" is in turn defined as including a government or governmental agency. However, "government" is then defined to include only state, county, and municipal bodies. The problem is that passing bills that purport to be the act of the federal goverment seems to fall through the cracks here.
I would appreciate any thoughts about how to handle the counterfeit cases on the state level and whether there is some other angle on prosecuting them under the forgery statute.

Posts: 33 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texaas | Registered: February 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would make the argument that since Texas has not printed its own money since 1845 or so, and a "writing" is defined in the specific forgery statute (enacted well after 1845) to include money, coins, etc., that the intent of the statute is to cover federally-issued currency.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See 693 S.W.2d 29. State prosecutors have been using the forgery statute for a long time to prosecute fake cash.

And, be sure to note that a forgery is a third degree felony if the writing was money or issued by a "state or national government". That sure seems to indicate that forged cash is a crime of forgery.

[This message was edited by JB on 08-24-10 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that this has been done before, seemingly without any concern for the definition of "another." But, it still bothers me that, under the plain meaning of the terms used, it doesn't seem that the federal government is "another."

Posts: 33 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texaas | Registered: February 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the advioe and that the latter portions of the statute refer to money and to instruments issued by the national government. However, these could still be harmonized with the alternate means of committing forgery under Subsections (a)(1)(A)(ii) & (iii).

posted Hide Post
Well, if you are concerned about the governmental definition, and since money is issued by the U.S. Treasurer and every bill is signed by that person, why not just allege that the "another" was that "individual"? Then, you could subpoena him and really impress the jury when he says he didn't make or sign that particular bill.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks John. I can always count on you for an interesting and innovative solution.