TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Child Abuse abuse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Child Abuse abuse Login/Join 
posted
Teacher of disabled children notices instances of bad diaper rash - not enough in the teacher's view to report to CPS as child abuse, but a concern to be watched and monitored for possible abuse. To document, photos of each instance are taken and kept in confidential file along with teacher's notes. Administrator learns of the file and photos, takes possession and destroys the photos. Reason - if another parent saw photos, the school could be sued.

Is anyone aware of any law that prevents a teacher from monitoring a child for possible child abuse,including photographing the child???

My knee jerk reaction is to have a long talk with the administrator, et al, but I'm not an education law expert. Am I missing something??? Mad

Posts: 10 | Registered: April 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the teacher feels it is bad enough to photograph and monitor, then it is bad enough to call CPS and let them investigate. Did the school address this concern with the parents? The "fail to report" statute applies to abuse and neglect. Obviously this teacher has told you he/she had reason to believe the child's physical well-being is being affected adversely by the diaper rash - so per statute - must report. I always tell teachers and others, when in doubt, but have concerns, call CPS and let them investigate and decide. I have more concerns with a teacher taking the photos and trying to investigate him/herself and neither the teacher nor the admin. calling CPS.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post