TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    True?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the sound of the O'Kinkys myself. Thought just crossed my mind that defendants might want to invoke the O'Kinky defense--closely related to the Twinky defense, but rather more successful.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure that Kinky broke the law. The statute (TPC 49.031) states that it is an offense to have an open container in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle that is located on a public highway. "Public highway" is defined as "the entire width between and immediately adjacent to the boundary lines of any public road, street, highway, interstate, or other publicly maintained way if any part is open for public use for the purpose of motor vehicle travel." One could argue that the public highway is not open to public use if the road has been closed for the purpose of a parade. Okay, so I need to spend more time working and less time reading this forum.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might have less cream filling and more twists and turns..

Perhaps a chicken...

[This message was edited by Philip D Ray on 03-13-06 at .]

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hey, and if the dude isn't even Irish, why is everyone protecting his back?"

I'm not protecting him. I defending the beer. Hooray, beer!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is ignoring this violation any different from ignoring the annual bet by the Texas Governor with the Oklahoma Governor over the outcome of the Texas-OU game?

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
"Hey, and if the dude isn't even Irish, why is everyone protecting his back?"

I'm not protecting him. I defending the beer. Hooray, beer!

I'm not protecting him either, I'm just protecting Newell, who is protecting the beer!

And let's not start the debate as to whether the Union Jack represents Ireland.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess we can agree to protect the beer then. And with plenty of beer, who cares about a disorderly politician or two. Hooray for beer!

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never wear my seatbelt while driving in a parade -- it interferes with waving. I have been seen driving that way by dozens of officers, and have yet to get a citation for it.

There are lot of reasons why Kinky should not be Governor, but this isn't one of them.

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy Mackerel, you mean there's someone posting who's been in parades?
I thought most of this discussion was dealing with people like me who would have inadvertently turned down a wrong street on the way to the dollar store and slipped past the traffic cones, only to find themselves in a slow-moving line of traffic, behind a flatbed trailer with Miss Cow Chip Flinger of Trinity County on board.
I didn't know there were folks reading this stuff who were famous, except John B, of course.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Miller:
Is ignoring this violation any different from ignoring the annual bet by the Texas Governor with the Oklahoma Governor over the outcome of the Texas-OU game?

I think up until this year, it was pretty much deamed a donation that was simply called a bet for the media's sake.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Friedman takes his case to Tarrant Bar Association

FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM
March 15, 2006

FORT WORTH -- Kinky Friedman decided Tuesday to set the record straight, once and for all.

Yes, he was given a can of Guinness beer as he rode in a St. Patrick's Day parade over the weekend in Dallas -- a possible violation of the state's open container law.

"I admit to holding a Guinness," he said. "I admit to drinking it.

"But I did not swallow."

Friedman made a campaign stump here Tuesday, speaking to about 300 people at a Tarrant County Bar Association luncheon at the Fort Worth Club in one of his latest efforts to get Texans to put him on the November ballot as an independent gubernatorial candidate.

Tarrant County prosecutor Joe Shannon, who introduced Friedman to the crowd, had a gift for the candidate: a six-pack of Guinness, the beer Friedman said "kept the Irish from taking over the world."

"Those people over in Dallas, they get real picky about what people do in a parade over there," Shannon said. "In Fort Worth, we're not quite so snooty. We don't care what you drink. There's one for the road."

[* * * (political mumbo-jumbo from the article deleted by me)]

Quips from Kinky [excerpts]

Kinky Friedman kept the one-liners coming in Fort Worth on Tuesday during a Tarrant County Bar Association luncheon:

On politicians: "I am not a politician at all. I haven't even been indicted yet."

On age: "I'm 61. That's too young for Medicare and too old for women to care."

On angels? "Every time a bell rings, another lobbyist gets his wings."

On becoming governor: "Being governor is like being the judge of a big chili contest."

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post