TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DWI with Child
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWI with Child Login/Join 
posted
one of my District Judges is telling me that Sec. 49.045 DWI's ought to be prosecuted as class B misdemeanors so that they can be used for DWI enhancement. Am I reading 49.09 wrong? Anybody else actively prosecuting these? I've had five convictions already in my little county.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a prior discussion on DWI + child prosecutions, go to this link.

A prosecution for DWI + child is included in the definition for "offense related to the the operating of a motor vehicle while intoxicated." See PC sec. 49.09(c)(1)(A).

The problem is that a reference to DWI + child (sec. 49.045) was not also included in the provision making even a probation a conviction for enhancement purposes, see sec. 49.09(d). In addition, DWI + child was not added to the list of offenses ineligible for deferred adjudication. See CCP art. 42.12 sec. 5(d)(1)(A).

So, if you want to build a DWI criminal history that can be used for future enhancement, you can only get there with a DWI + child by obtaining a final conviction (meaning the defendant was convicted and actually sentenced to state jail). I imagine these things will be cleaned up in the next legislative session. Right, Shannon?

[This message was edited by John Bradley on 02-26-04 at .]

[This message was edited by John Bradley on 02-26-04 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, these shortcomings were pointed out during our Legislative Updates back in Aug/Sept 2003.

John, I have come up with a list of 5 separate statutes that need to be amended to reflect the new offense in 49.045:

PC 49.09(d) - probations as finals
PC 49.09(e) - 10-year rule on priors (or is this OK? Wink )
CCP 42.12, Sec. 5(d)(1) - deferreds
CCP 42.12, Sec. 13 - min. jail terms
FC 51.03 re delinquent conduct

Please send any other "loopholes" to me and I will add them to the list.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see, as you so slyly suggest, that the absence of a reference to DWI + child in 49.09(e) works to our favor. There is no time limit on the use of a DWI + child prior in a new DWI.

Frankly, I suggest trying to eliminate the entire section limiting prior DWI's for enhancement to a 10-year period. We don't have such a limitation for sex offenders, thefts or family violence assault. What is so special about DWI?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB, a bill that would have ended the 10 yr rule on DWI's passed the house, but got locked up in the Senate criminal justice committee . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Looks like we'll have to add Trans. Code Chapters 521 (suspension) and 524 (ALR) to the list of things needing to be amended -- 49.045 isn't included in them either.

If anyone knows of others, pass them along.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post