TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is this fair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this fair? Login/Join 
posted
It cost him his job at a Round Rock Randalls, but Troy Schafer, who was fired last week after chasing a purse snatcher out of the grocery store, said he didn't have much choice.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of tort lawyers making "attorney" a four letter word. Go figure, Randall's does not want to get sued by employees, victims, or defendants who suffer "harm" because of the actions of a good samaritan like this gentleman. Am I the only one who thinks our societal values need a major overhaul?

Posts: 51 | Location: Montogmery County | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have suspended him without pay for a couple of days at most, not fire him.

Maybe Randall's needs a boycott by law abiding citizens to let them see how they like being without money like their fired manager is going to be.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like other companies, I'm sure, Wal-Mart has a similar policy (where I worked while in college). 2 juvenile girls were suspected to be shoplifting, but store policy was if you don't see it and maintain uninterrupted surveillance, you can't stop them. So I followed them outside to let them know we were on to them. Long story short, I got thrown from a moving car and skidded across the parking lot. Was "officially" written up by the store manager the next day, but "unofficially" given a pat on the back. Another employee recognized one of the girls from school so the police were waiting for her when she got home. Confessed on the spot. Agg. Robbery later reduced to a misd. theft (no one called the courageous victim), and I learned that in a fight with a teenage girl - a car really has a way of evening the odds.

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How ridiculous for criminals to make money committing offenses by suing good citizens and companies trying to keep their doors open.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling it's to keep the employees from getting hurt and then collecting worker's comp or something on the company's dollar and I guess for an innocent person not to get tackled by overly zealous employee who thinks they are stealing. I sort of see that the policy manual could say that chasing a criminal is outside the scope of employment (so the person would get sued, not the company), but firing someone for chasing a criminal seems out of line. That's along the lines of trying to mess with a witness when compliance with a subpoena affects work hours. I don't see how they have the right to control that behavior.
I love it when the boss says "my hands are tied." I'm sure someone has some power up the chain at some point.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gutlessness of certain corporations (and their lawyers) is truly remarkable.

Randall's should have made him "Employee of the Month," let him park in the boss's parking spot, and issued a press release about it. They would get more customers and customer loyalty, and they might even dissuade a potential purse napper to go a more spineless place to ply his trade--like Wal-Mart.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And check my Randall's card, folks at Randall's. I've been a good customer for years.

There is justice

Apparently, more than one company owner thinks an employee like this is worth having.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bank teller chased the robber and got fired.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- A man who robbed a house and ran near an Independence convent was chased from the building by one of the nuns Thursday morning, police said.

Police said the man took a shotgun and other items form a house and then ran near the Sisters of St. Francis convent. Police said a nun from the convent chased him from near the convent and in the process the man dropped one of his guns.

Independence police also believe the man may have robbed a second house earlier Thursday morning and may have taken firearms from that home, too.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/20382595/detail.html

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that's pretty much the opinion my ConLaw professor had about gun control- holding the rifle with both hands.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do, give this woman a raise instead of writing her up!

COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO

Here's a tip, Starbucks: Praise a courageous employee
Tuesday, December 08, 2009

My latest hero? Laura Palawski, 24, who works at the Starbucks at Sixth Street and Congress Avenue.

On Dec. 1, Palawski chased a guy down the street who she said had stolen the store's tip jar money off the counter. It was the entire day's tip collection for the staff, no small item in this economy.
Good for Laura.

...But Starbucks didn't see it that way.

"The safety of our customers and partners (employees) is our highest priority, " a company rep responded.

Palawski says she was written up. Well, she's getting written up again � by me. Way to go, Laura.

See the whole article here...Starbucks hero

posted Hide Post
These guys were on a break and responded to a call for help from a different store entirely... still got fired.

Sprint fires hero employees

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's completely ridiculous. I can understand stores having a "don't confront" policy for their employees' safety. But I don't see how that can restrict their off-work activity. Would they have been fired if they'd confronted a burglar in their own homes too?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post