TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Offender Registration for Indecency by Exposure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Offender Registration for Indecency by Exposure Login/Join 
posted
HYPO: Bad guy has no other register eligible crimes up to this point.

He pleds to 2 indecency with a child by exposure at the same time, on the same day.

Does he register for life or 10 years post?

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indecency with a child by exposure requires the defendant to register as a sex offender (CH. 62) for a period of 10 years.

Why would you think he needs to register for life just because he pled on two indecency-exposure?

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
62.01(5)(E) CCP defines a second conviction for indecent exposure under 21.08 TPC as a reportable conviction; that could be a source of some confusion. 62.101(a)(3) CCP says that a defendant is a lifetime registrant if he is convicted or adjudicated for an offense under 21.11(a)(2) TPC (indecency-exposure) if he receives or has received another reportable conviction. As I read the statute one guilty of exposure to a child who is convicted/adjudicated for a subsequent/previous exposure to a child (or any other reportable conviction)is a lifetime registrant. The question is whether pleading to more than one exposure to achild on the same day satisfies the "receives or has received another reportable conviction" requirement. I confess, I don't know the answer......

[This message was edited by BLeonard on 04-26-06 at .]

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPS has a section that interpets this stuff for the rest of us. Or, check out TDCAA's book on sex offender registration.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post