TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Canada rejects Miranda protections
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada rejects Miranda protections Login/Join 
posted
No lawyer during questioning for suspects in Canada:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/872791--no-right-to-lawyer-during-questioning-says-top-court

But the Canadians have a fine Supreme Court building!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But... I thought that accepting foreign law to interpret your own constitution was the hallmark of a good legal system!

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep,can't you just see our High Court interpreting "the evolving standards of decency" to (1) abolish Miranda and (2) permit comments on the defendant's failure to testify (as in the UK)?!!!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer, I watched about an hour of oral argument in the UK Supreme Court on the right to counsel. Interesting things about it included: (1) there were about 20 lawyers at the counsel tables; (2) it went on and on (I think it took 2 days) (3) the judges were in regular suits and seemed much more casual than even our local appellate courts; (4) lots of references to American law and phrases like "fruit of the poison tree."

I think the ruling is expected next week, but the European Court has apparently already ruledthere is a right to counsel in interrogation.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post