TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What did you call my momma?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you call my momma? Login/Join 
posted
This disciplinary matter arises from formal charges filed by the Office of Disciplinary Counsel ("ODC") against respondents, Douglas H. Greenburg and Anthony P. Lewis, attorneys licensed to practice law in Louisiana.

UNDERLYING FACTS

By way of background, Mr. Greenburg served as the District Attorney of Terrebonne Parish from 1985 through 1996. He now maintains a private law practice in Houma. Mr. Lewis primarily practices in neighboring Lafourche Parish, but occasionally handles cases in Terrebonne Parish.

In 2005, respondents represented opposing parties in a bitterly contested succession matter pending in Terrebonne Parish. On May 26, 2006, respondents appeared in open court for a motion hearing before Judge Randall L. Bethancourt. During the hearing, Mr. Greenburg suggested that "some hanky-panky" on the part of Mr. Lewis might well justify an award of attorney's fees to Mr. Greenburg's client. The following exchange then occurred:

Mr. Lewis: Here we go again, Your Honor, the former D.A. is always suspect --

Mr. Greenburg: Your Honor, I'm going to object right now --

Mr. Lewis: -- or somebody . . . the law --

The Court: Gentlemen, quiet.

Mr. Greenburg: -- and ask that this jackass --

The Court: Gentlemen, quiet. Quiet, gentlemen.

Mr. Greenburg: -- quit bringing up anything --

Mr. Lewis: Jackass?

Mr. Greenburg: Jackass.

Mr. Lewis: Your mother is a jackass.

The Court: Hey, hey, hey. All right, y'all are both in contempt.

Following the exchange of profanities, Mr. Greenburg grabbed Mr. Lewis' suit jacket and both men fell to the floor. Judge Bethancourt immediately recessed the proceeding, cleared the courtroom, and restored order. He then informed respondents on the record that he was holding both of them in contempt of court but that sentencing would be delayed until a later date.

On June 28, 2006, Judge Bethancourt took up the sentencing on the contempt matter. After hearing brief arguments from both respondents, Judge Bethancourt sentenced Mr. Greenburg to serve twenty-four hours in the parish jail and fined him $ 100. Mr. Lewis was sentenced to serve twelve hours in the parish jail, suspended upon the condition that he pay a $ 50 fine and perform eight hours of community service.

For more details, look up 9 So. 3d 802.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pots & Pans lawyers. What can you expect?

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post