TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    EMS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EMS Login/Join 
posted
Is EMS considered an actor of the State? I dont think so, but just checking.

Posts: 5 | Registered: July 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago when I was slumming as a defense attorney, we had a suppression hearing on statements made by my client (i.e. "I was driving"--DWI accident case) to EMS who also happened to be law enforcement in his other job. The judge suppressed the statements finding there was no corroboration. Case kicked.

Posts: 74 | Location: Hempstead, TX USA | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree it may not always be cut and dried. I've had EMS tell DWI suspects that they were under arrest and it's difficult to argue that the defendant would have felt free to leave when some person in uniform that works for a government agency tells them they are not!

In general, though, statements made to them in the course of medical treatment should come in. I guess it depends on your facts.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
99 S.W.3d 767; Wilson v. State

This is case in which nurses at a county hospital were found to be government actors. As for the EMTs, it may boil down to how they are actually employed.

Posts: 4 | Location: Galveston,TX | Registered: December 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about that CCA case looking at CPS? IIRC, that case focused on what the CPS employee was doing, not just their status as a CPS employee.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post