TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Power Point Presentations in Court
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Point Presentations in Court Login/Join 
posted
Does the judge have to allow them? We have a defense counsel who has asked, with respect to an upcoming trial. (I don't use power point.) Can the judge disallow based only on his preference? Need quick answer. Thx, Mike

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The judge has discretion to control the admission of evidence, including the manner it is presented, but such discretion is limited by the factors listed in Rule 403 (danger of unfair prejudice, confusion, misleading, undue delay, or needless cumulative evidence).

I can't imagine a judge would want to prevent a lawyer from using a Powerpoint, absent an appropriate objection (of which, I could think of many if the Powerpoint is not done done properly). Our judges have never stopped us. Frankly, once they see how much time it saves, they support it.

But, we are careful to have it set up before trial, run it smoothly, show it to defense counsel for any objections before displaying it to a jury, and offer the digitized documents into evidence rather than the Powerpoint itself.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post