TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Squatter's rights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squatter's rights? Login/Join 
posted
On the courthouse steps a man purchases a foreclosed house. Occupants of the house are squatters, with no legal right to be on the premises. On day of purchase man meets occupants for the first time, and he posts an eviction notice. Two months later occupants are forceably removed by the constable. At one point the squatters claim to have protections afforded by bankruptcy proceedings. That claim is proven to be false. Fair market value for rent on the property is $2,600 - $3,200. The question is: Other than criminal trespass, have the squatters commited a crime? A theft? A theft of service?

These squatters are bad people - associated with a lot of other bad people. These facts represent the tiny tip of a huge iceberg of mortgage fraud. They don't easily fit any penal statute. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If truly mortgage fraud, talk to the feds.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, they aren't entitled to any of the bailout money like the other mortgage fraud folks are they? Wink

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is it mortgage fraud if they are squatters?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they falsely asserted that they were protected by a bankruptcy during the forcible entry and detainer proceeding, why not aggravated perjury?

I do not think you could use criminal trespass, because I think that an occupant of a foreclosed property becomes a tenant at sufferance upon foreclosure, and must be evicted through the appropriate procedures. Similarly, I am not sure theft would apply either. I think the process of getting them out of the property is a civil matter.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post