TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Proving up Marihuana
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proving up Marihuana Login/Join 
posted
This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm desperate because my officer did not send the alleged marihuana to the DPS lab.

Is there any other way to prove up that an alleged substance is in fact marijuana besides, of course, sending it to the lab to be tested and calling the person from the lab to testify in regard to the results?

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick answer:

You do not need a lab result as long as the officer can testify that based on his training and experience the substance is marijuana.

Deshong v. State, 625 SW2d 327, should help.

Posts: 70 | Location: Hunt County | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely correct. See also the Court of Criminal Appeals en banc decision of Hernandez v. State 698 sw2d 679 which holds sufficient that the testimony of Police officer that defendant told officer that he possessed heroin was sufficient to prove substance possessed was heroin.

In Houlihan v. State, 551 sw2d 719 Court of Criminal Appeals case where it held that an experienced officer may be qualified to testify that a green leafy plant substance is marijuana.

You might want to shepardize those. It has been awhile since I have.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank Goodness.

Thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Osbourn v. State, 92 s.w.3d 531. It has a great discussion about using people with special training. Good luck.

Posts: 47 | Location: BASTROP, TEXAS, USA | Registered: January 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post