TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DWI Enhancement - Prior Probation Discharged
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWI Enhancement - Prior Probation Discharged Login/Join 
posted
I'm trying to enhance a DWI to a felony. One of the prior convictions from 1990 contains an order discharging defendant from probation. The order states "IT... Ordered and adjudged by the court that the finding of guilty heretofore entered in this cause is hereby set aside, the complaint and information in this case be, and the same are hereby dismissed and the defendant be, and he is hereby discharged from probation". It appears that there is no conviction and I'm stuck with a misdemeanor dwi. Am I wrong?

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This crops up every now and then. It is still available for enhancement.

For the previous thread on the same issue, click here.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bet that is a Dallas County case . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The basis for the advise to "ignore it" can be found in the following cases:

Anderson v. State, 110 SW3d 98 (Tex. App. - Dallas 2003, no pet)
Jordy v. State, 969 SW2d 528 (Tex. App. - Fort Worth 1998, no pet)
Mahaffey v. State, 937 SW2d 51 (Tex. App. - Houston 1996, no pet)

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, geez, Richard, now you sound all scholarly and everything for suggesting there has to be a legal reason to ignore a defense argument. I find that some of the best legal arguments are simply made with a straight face and the line, "Now, judge, don't you know if that was the law then we couldn't prosecute anyone for a repeat DWI?"

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is the correct answer and the correct answer with case cites. No one can say this forum is unhelpful.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given how some judges feel about the number of DWI cases pending on their dockets I am afraid the response to John's query might be "and what's wrong with that?"

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only prosecutor on this website that likes the judges in his/her county?

posted Hide Post
JB not everyone is as lucky as we are !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like all the judges where I work. Wink (Oh, wait! They pay me to say that, don't they? Cool)

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post