TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Straw purchasing of race horses?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straw purchasing of race horses? Login/Join 
posted
Could someone please point me to the appropriate penal code cite regarding any violations re the below scenario

Suspect Jim Jones uses other names (some names attached to real humans, some just fake names) to purchase race horses, then sells them and pockets whatever profit, and also races them and pockets whatever winnings.

1. What penal code/etc cite addresses this?
2. Felony or misdemeanor?
3. Any particular "expert" in Austin or a DA's office familiar with this topic? Name and contact number?

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Dallas,TX | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you give us more facts.

Is he buying them on credit?
Is he bouncing checks?

Most likely Theft by deception 31.03

Identity theft 32.51 might also fit depending on the facts but you haven't stated enough to go on at this time.

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not see any crime in buying a horse under an assumed name. Perhaps there would be deception if he sold a horse claiming to be a Big Noise Race Horse Owner (e.g. the King Ranch, when they owned race horses)when in fact he is an unknown.

To race a horse you must be licensed by the Texas Racing Commission. If you are unlicensed, I suspect it would be a crime to race the horse under a licensee's name as the owner. You might contact the Texas Racing Commission at (512) 833-6699 for more information.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies, he pays in cash.

I will reach out to the racing commission, didn't even think about them.

Thanks guys

Posts: 5 | Location: Dallas,TX | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might also see if any of the transactions involve more than $10,000 in cash. This type of transaction typically requires a cash transaction report (CTR). If you can get the bad guy's SSN, you may be able to check on whether or not any CTR's have been sent in. I used to work in a bank and we would get inquiries about CTR's (usually in drug cases).

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post