TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Bulletproof backpacks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulletproof backpacks Login/Join 
posted
There will be some that will say that this idea is overkill and over the top, like the recent cell phones marketed by Cingular and others that are dedicated to children and keeping them safe, but two fathers in the Boston area have developed a lightweight ballastic panel integral with a kids school backpack. It provides a level 2 protection (9mm and below) while only adding an extra 20 oz. to the backpack.

Everyone of our childrens schools are safe, until some nut walks in with an assault pistol or rifle. It is only then we learn that they were not safe and that these events were not predictable.

Having worn bulletproof full coverage and "t-shirt" vests during my deputy days in the early 80's in Houston, Texas summers, I can say that this weight reduction is significant.

This backpack might be a good purchase for prosecutors as well. Disgruntled sociopathic defendants with a penchant for drive-bys are a concern for many prosecutors.

Here's the link to the site and below that, the brief story:

http://www.mychildspack.com/My_Child_s_Pack_for_school.php

BOSTON -- It's time for parents to make the annual trek to get back to school items, which usually includes jeans, jerseys and a few notebooks.

NewsCenter 5's Pam Cross reported Thursday that a couple of North Shore men want parents to consider something else -- a bulletproof backpack.

"They have them with them on the floor, on their laps, on the bus. They always have a backpack," said Joe Curran, of My Child's Pack.

It started with the Columbine shooting in 1999. Curran and Mike Pelonzi said that they watched and worried for their own children. They had the idea to hide bulletproof material inside a backpack. They call it defensive action.

"If the kid has a backpack next to them, or under the desk, they can pick it up, the straps act as a handle and it becomes a shield," Curran said.

It's much lighter than a 15-pound police vest. After three years of experimenting, the backpacks that were tested by an outside lab ranked threat level two. It stops an assortment of bullets, including 9-millimeter hollow point bullets. The fathers researched school shootings from 1900 to this year.

They will sell for $175, but do the special book bags play upon paranoia when most schools are called safe?

"I want to keep my kid safe. I don't care what you do -- if you want to fight the good fight or fix the world's hurts, I can't help you, but my kids are going to be safe because of these backpacks," Curran said.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post