TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Drug Court and HB530
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drug Court and HB530 Login/Join 
posted
I was reading Sec. 7 of HB530 which is effective immediately. It creates a new Sec. 469.005 under the H&S Code which looks to allow creation of DWI courts. The question I have however is that Sec. 469.005 (b) states "A county that establishes a drug court program under this chapter but does not establish a separate program under this section must employ procedures designed to ensure that a person arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a second or subsequent offense involving the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated participates in the county's existing drug court program." I may be missing something but I don't see what sec (b) does. Can someone help me out?

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me they are trying to make sure we include DWI cases as those deserving of inclusion in drug court programs. So, alcohol abuse is drug abuse.

That might seem redundant given the earlier list of DWI cases among those cases qualifying for inclusion in a drug court program, but no one ever accused the Leg of being run by a bunch of English majors.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post