TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    When TDCJID says "NO!"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When TDCJID says "NO!" Login/Join 
posted
When TDCJID refuses to take a convicted felon because they say that he has served more than he would have in there, what do you do? Who actually files the request for parole in absentia, if that is the answer? Does anyone have an application, if there is such a thing -- if it is something that I, as the prosecutor, should be filing? I didn't realize TDCJID could just say "No." DJC

Posts: 130 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not unusual for TDCJ to PIA a defendant if their time in custody on the case equals or exceeds what they would do in TDCJ before parole.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would be the point of them accepting him/her when TDCJ could not legally hold this person? I heard about a lawsuit three years ago against TDCJ from a Bell County inmate. The state had to release thousands of inmates who being illegally held past the time limit within which the parole board could act on mandatory supervision requests. According to the article, the TDCJ General Counsel said they had no choice but to release otherwise they would be sued.

That is probably the reason why you got the response that you did.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post