TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Do You Believe This?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Believe This? Login/Join 
posted
NIGERIA CRACKS DOWN ON E-MAIL SCAMS

In the heart of sub-Saharan Africa's most-crowded metropolis, in a dimly lit Internet caf� thumping with Nigerian music, clusters of two and three teenage boys hover around aging computer screens. They use their Nike T-shirts and baggy jeans to wipe sweat off their brows and palms as they intently craft deceptive e-mails and scour the Web for foreign e-mail addresses.

These are Nigeria's "yahoo-yahoo boys" - purveyors of their country's most infamous export: scam e-mails sent en masse daily to in-boxes around the world. They represent the lowest rung of powerful, politically connected gangs that aim to swindle gullible, greedy foreigners - especially Americans - out of millions of dollars.

Nigeria's government is now cracking down harder on e-mail fraud, in part to repair damage the scams have done to the country's global reputation. But the boys and their bosses may be difficult to stop. Many are motivated not just by greed, but a desire to leave their country - or retaliate against Westerners for perceived injustices.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PT Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute." (That's the way I heard it anyway.)

But, if true, how often is a scammer born? And with today's technology the time period is probably measured in nanoseconds. (I looked that up in my cajun dictionary, that's faster than a shot at and missed blue wing teal.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the real story on who said, "There's a sucker born every minute," go to this link. An interesting story.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And poor David Hannum was committed to the dustbin of history!

Wonder if he came back as an appellate lawyer whose briefs are now available on westlaw?

Hey wait a minute, I was an appellate attorney!

[This message was edited by Gordon LeMaire on 12-17-05 at .]

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post