TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    File retention - death penalty case - defendant executed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

File retention - death penalty case - defendant executed Login/Join 
posted
Are there any statutory restrictions re the destruction of a death penalty case file/evidence where the defendant has been executed? I'm covered on my records retention schedule but I just wanted to make sure that there were no statutory issues with respect to dp cases. Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the retentions schedules published by the Texas State Library. Public Safety Agency Retention Schedules

Note that you need to see what policies you have adopted in order to follow the schedule.

Last I checked, you need only retain any type of case file for as long as it is adminstratively valuable. In making that determination, you need to think about issues like co-defendants, cooperating witnesses, and any others who jump out of the woodwork 10, 20, or 30 years down the road.

Note that evidence, as opposed to files, will be governed by laws like Article 38.43.

I worked on a policy for another office once. That policy was to hold the file for at least a year after any execution, and to further retain it as long as a codefendant for the same crime had not discharged sentence.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post