TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Offenders: Kings of the Road?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Offenders: Kings of the Road? Login/Join 
posted
I've seen this a couple of times recently, and the problems with it are obvious: Registered sex offenders who are long haul truck drivers.

This morning I had a pre-indictment writ hearing with such a guy. He's got two convictions for Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child (concurrent) for which he went to prison. Now he's done it again. He's registered in our county, but our warrant was executed on him in Cheyenne, Wyoming, because that's where his employer located him via their GPS system. At the hearing I asked him how much time he actually spends at his home address here in our county. His response: "4 or 5 days a month."

Every prosecutor certainly shares my concerns with this scenario, so I don't need to articulate them. But does anyone know if there is some way to put a stop to this? If there isn't already a law on the books preventing sex offenders from getting their CDL, then there should be. I will be contacting my political representatives (state and federal), and I hope others will do the same.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
file a motion to modify his probation and specifically ask the Judge to order the defendant to find other employment. This is certainly a reasonable term or condition. There are whole classes of jobs he could not have while on probation, ie: jobs that place him in contact with minors. If by "he's done it again" you mean that he is accused of a new child sex offense, his bond should reflect the term as well. I would ask the court not to let him leave the county.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post