TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Getting bllood test results from an out of state hospital
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting bllood test results from an out of state hospital Login/Join 
posted
I have already received some good advice from Clay Abbott, but I thought I would ask those prosecutors whose jurisdictions adjoin another state, particularly Louisiana. We are having problems when intoxicated drivers get in crashes involving deaths or SBI, and are then flown by helicopter to LSU in Baton Rouge for medical treatment. Texas GJ subpoenas and search warrant won't fly. Our HP sergeant is in the process of working with a Caddo Parish homicide lieutenant to get a Louisiana search warrant for the hospital's records. How do you handle these situations in your counties? Suggestions appreaciated.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 24.28 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure sets out the requirements of the Uniform Act To Secure Attendance of Witnesses From Without State.

We have had good luck using this process. Its certainly more work than a "regular" subpoena, but it has produced for us.

Draft the paperwork, get the signatures, and coordinate with a prosecutor in the jurisdiction you seek your witness and records from.

Just be sure to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later, the process takes time to complete.

Posts: 47 | Location: Dumas, Tx | Registered: March 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post