TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Gun shot wound = serious bodily injury?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun shot wound = serious bodily injury? Login/Join 
posted
Okay, it was a shotgun loaded with birdshot. My question is: Does the fact the victims are struck by pellets fired from the shotgun (one had numerous pellet wounds and needed surgery to remove some, the other victim only had one of two pellet wounds) rise to serious bodily injury (this was a drive by shooting).

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're charging agg assault, wouldn't you be happier going under "deadly weapon,” TPC 22.02(a)(2) ?

The need for surgery is not going to be enough to establish SBI. Webb v. State, 801 S.W.2d 529, 533 (Tex. Crim. App. 1990) (the necessity for surgery, alone, is insufficient, by itself, to establish serious bodily injury). The question is the degree of risk of death that the injury caused, or the injury's disfiguring or impairing quality, as it was inflicted, not after the injury's effects had been ameliorated or exacerbated by other actions such as medical treatment. Stuhler v. State, 218 S.W.3d 706, 714 (Tex. Crim. App. 2007); Ramirez v. State, No. 13-05-785-CR, 2009 WL 1567340 (Tex.App. -- Corpus Christi January 22, 2009, pet. ref’d) (not designated for publication).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume your question is whether you can get a first degree under 22.02(b)(3). Given the nature of your injuries, I agree that you're going to be stuck with a 2nd Degree under 22.02(a)(2).

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just looking for the best way to charge. This one is bumped up be street gang status.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post