TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    subpoena fee?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

subpoena fee? Login/Join 
posted
I turn once again to the fountain of knowledge, my sippy cup of knowledge having run dry.

A TPWD officer called me to say that a JP court clerk wants $60 to issue a subpoena on behalf of the state in a Class C criminal case. As I understand it, this is not a fee for service of the subpoena, but for issuance.

I have not heard of this before, and can't find any authority for such a fee in the CCP or Govt. Code. We never paid subpoena fees when I was a misdemeanor prosecutor, but that was a while back. Does a JP have authority to charge a fee to issue a subpoena?

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 102 of the Government Code deals with court costs in criminal proceedings. Section 103.021 lists miscellaneous fees that can be charged to a defendant. I did not see anything there. Section 103.022 lists general fees. I did not see subpoenas there either, but I only skimmed it. The rest of the provisions appear deal with charges that can be assessed to the defendant upon conviction or on behalf of a testifying witness, but not the mere issuance of the subpoena. There may be a fee set by commissioner's court for the service of the sheriff or constable (section 118.131 of the Local Government Code) but that would appear to apply to service of a subpoena, not the issuance of it, and it would depend on whether there is a contract with the sheriff and constable to serve subpoenas.

P.S. - Code of Criminal Procedure Article 103.002 prevents the imposition of a fee "for which a cost is not expressly provided by law."

Posts: 62 | Registered: March 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post