TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Racing Indictment/Revo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racing Indictment/Revo Login/Join 
posted
I've got 2 perps racing down a major street in town during the middle of the day. The worst happens and a young woman with her 4 yo is making a turn and gets t-boned by idiot #1. 4 year old is alive but may not make it. Idiot #2 (who was not involved in the actual collison) is on felony probation for FSRA after leaving the scene of a wreck 8 months ago, also the result of a race. We plan to charge both idiot #1 and #2 with numerous offenses including Racing/Deadly Conduct/Agg. Assault
In looking at the Racing on a Highway statute (545.420 Transportation Code) I am wondering
1) if I'm missing the "highway" part of the statute somewhere and
2) What mental state(s) should be alleged ?

Any help would be appreciated !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The highway requirement is in 542.001, TC, racing is in subtitle C. 542.301, TC is generally regarded as removing intent as an element, dispite 6.02(b, Penal Code. I hope this makes it clear as mud, unfortunately that may be as clear as it gets. A headache you may not have seen is how to interpret "participate in any manner". Please keep posting and let us know how this unravels.

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post