TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Committed Juvenile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Committed Juvenile Login/Join 
posted
I have a juvenile who was found Unfit to Proceed and placed on a 90 commitment. He turned 18 while committed and the proceedings were transferred to an adult court under TFC 55.44. The Family Code doesn't give any guidance on what to do next other than to initiate 46B proceedings within 90 days. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Posts: 4 | Location: Galveston,TX | Registered: December 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never dealt with one but was on the Chap. 55 Workgroup and the standard for fitness to proceed is actually a higher standard in some ways than the adult standard for competency -- i.e. the necessity to consider the maturation of the child in determination of fitness. Logically, it seems like a straightfoward determination, albeit a "re-determination" now of competency. Is there some procedural aspect that seems puzzling or daunting?

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post