TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Offender Enhancement Quandry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Offender Enhancement Quandry Login/Join 
posted
If a defendant is convicted of a "sex" crime but then is charged with a new "sex" crime that was alleged to have happened PRIOR to the crime for which he was convicted, does the mandatory life sentence apply? In other words, do either the convictions or dates of offense have to be consecutive?

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although Penal Code Sec. 12.42(c)(2)does not clearly specify that the second offense must occur after the first conviction, I think it is a requirement.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Applying the enhancement provision to the earlier offense would likely be considered to violate the ex post facto prohibition.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. I'm afraid I just revealed my incompetence by asking that question. I just wanted to get it right so thanks again for your replies.

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diremiggio v. State, 637 S.W.2d 926, at 927 (Tex.Cr.App.-1982)

It is settled that the burden is on the State to make a prima facie showing that any prior conviction alleged for enhancement, or for punishing an accused as a repeat offender, became final before the commission of the primary offense, and once such a showing is made, the burden shifts to the defendant to prove otherwise. See Johnson v. State, 583 S.W.2d 399 (Tex.Cr.App.1979); and Tinney v. State, 578 S.W.2d 137 (Tex.Cr.App.1979)

I wasn't sure about the answer either but I did dig up this line of cases. I think that what is true for the repeat offender provision of SS12.42(c)(1) TPC will hold true for SS12.42(c)(2).

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post