TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    temporary protective order
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

temporary protective order Login/Join 
posted
in a temporary protective order can the court reward temporary child custody and temporary child support? The code seems to be silent. Also, can a person go to the DA's office and file for a temporary protective order if they have already filed for a divorce?

Posts: 10 | Location: huntsville, texas | Registered: March 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you mean an ex parte protective order? Yes, the judge can award, but most are extremely hesitant to do so, just as with a final protective order. As I have heard many judges advise, a protective order is not a substitute for divorce, it is an order of protection.

Nonetheless, some judges I have practiced before, when the circs were appropriate, did award support in the final order. More commonly, when the physical acts of the respondent were or could be threatening to the safety of the children, the judges will establish supervised visitation to ensure the safety of the children. The hardest part doing that was finding a third party willing to transport the children to and from the supervised visitation location.

Call Bastrop Co. if you have more questions. I'm not a protective order expert, but we have one on staff. He's across the hall from Phil. Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post