TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Office tech set up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office tech set up Login/Join 
posted
Just curious: What kind of technology set up does your office have? Do you employ your own tech person (or people), or do you rely on your county's. Or does the attorney or staff member with the most interest in computers get that job by default? And is your computer/technology system integrated with your county's, or is it a stand alone network?

Thanks!

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm part of a very small county attorney's office- elected, assistant (me), and three support staff. Ours is an in-office network, tied into a server that's used as a remote storage location and internet gateway. It's mostly used for for and the like- sample complaints and information, pleadings, orders, etc. None of our actual case information is stored electronically. It's tied into the county network only insofar as our criminal secretary can access the county clerk's file data. There's a single county tech who works out of the probation department and is responsible for any problems that might arise.

Our computers have been graciously provided by the local DA. Because of that, one of their support staff does actual phone duty with Dell if we need a replacement CD-ROM or something. I was a computer tech in a previous professional life, so I pretty much do all the care and feeding of my own machine.

Mostly though, our network has gotten into the fully mature "it just works" phase. There's not a whole lot going on that requires updates or anything. We haven't gotten any viruses or suffered any dramatic failures. The worst that's happened is my CD-ROM tried to eat my hand, but I managed to beat it back...

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post