TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Footing the Bill - Unfunded Mandate...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Footing the Bill - Unfunded Mandate... Login/Join 
posted
Mandatory blood - we are finally getting into the "who pays?" situation where DPS has not authorized expenses for mandatory blood in felony DWIs and logically, we got the bill. How are some of you handling this situation?

Posts: 28 | Location: TX, USA | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill for what? Isn't it just a request for you to seek reimbursement for the cost from the defendant?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well sure we could attach the reimbursement to the judgment just like we do for DPS Crime Lab testing for drugs etc. - in reality we know we are likely to not see a dime of that money before, during or after a 20 year vacation to Huntsville - what does the hospital do in the meantime? Are you all paying whoever is doing the testing and hoping for a conviction/payment of restitution?

Posts: 28 | Location: TX, USA | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our LEO's provide the blood kit and the hospital simply draws the blood and returns it to the LEO for submission to the DPS lab.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm back after a nearly two month time off for knee replacement surgery (not a vacation!!). Anyway, I have been getting calls from our HP sergeants about who pays the hospitals for doing a blood draw, whether under a warrant or under 724.012(b). My agency has no money funded for this; what do your agencies do?

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, for now we have chosen to go to a hospital that does not charge us, even though it is 40 miles out of the way.

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post